Nice guys finish last

Nice guys finish last. Why do they say that? In spite of having heard that statement often, all my life I have been trying to be a nice guy. I wouldn't like to hurt anyone. If someone hurts me, I smile and don't bite back. Most times at least. I allow others to get ahead of me because I'm polite. I'm not assertive enough to demand that my time, space and oxygen is being respected and no one is allowed to pollute or waste it.

This morning I woke up as usual and as I was writing my morning pages (http://juliacameronlive.com/basic-tools/morning-pages/) a bolt of lightning went through me and I realised that nice guys do finish last and I have no one else to blame for it but myself.
I allow people to take away from me my time, my ideas, my hard work, my niceness, my ideals, and my values because I don't want to disturb the status quo or my idea of being a nice guy who doesn't harm anyone. Does that mean I should lie down, close my eyes and never say never while others take their way with me? That's why we have so many rape victims in our life. If they just used their knee and timed a well-aimed kick their attacker would have left them and they will be left with their dignity and values.
Stop being nice. Fight for your rights without trampling or taking away the rights of others. Some people say that Hitler was fighting for his rights by purging the wrong race from the planet. But that is not the role of an individual. Hitler did not create the planet for him to purge it. Similarly, we cannot have a spouse inflicting pain on another because the other was not living to their idea of an ideal spouse.  That is not living up to your ideals. That is forcing others to live to yours.
When you live to your ideals, you are pushing yourself to higher grounds where you demand that you treat yourself better and expect others to treat you better when they intrude into your space.
They should come on time for meetings since I'm always on time. That's a valid thing to stand for.
They should come shaved for the meeting because I expect them to be shaved in a business meeting. That is an invalid issue. That guy could be an artist, a dreamer who needs to see a stubble in the mirror to get his creative juices flowing. So let him be.
So you should know where to push for excellence and where to accept others for what they are.
An exceptional life is created when we hold ourself to a much higher standard and expect ourself and the world to live up to those standards when it intrudes into your personal space and time.
Learn to use your knee or your fist - figurative...
Go have an exceptional day and a super exceptional life.
Love you!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #96: Rituals (100 day gratitude challenge)

100 Day Gratitude Challenge: Day #2 Gratitude to all the people who provide me food and water

Exceptional Sunday