Day #59: Volunteering (100 days gratitude challenge)

Day #59: Volunteering
(100 days gratitude challenge)
Yesterday we had a kidathon organised near our Residential Complex. This was organised by the Chennai Runners OMRTB chapter and many of us were requested to help out in the conduct of this event. So I was one of them too and there were over 40 volunteers helping out in the various aspects of running the marathon for kids.
I don’t know whether you have noticed, when we need to do something for the community, we ensure that we land up there and do our bit. I was asked to handle a tricky stretch near the nullah bridge that had just been dug up recently. There were 3 of us to do that job there and we were up from 4:30 am to check the stretch, put up hazard tape and be ready for the run starting at 6:15 am.  The three of us were cheerful, catching up on each other’s life and ensuring the run went off without a hitch.
Now if this was my job, I’m not sure whether I would accept to report at 4:30 am and clean up a road stretch and stand for 3 hours in the middle of the road managing kids who were running. But since I was volunteering, I gladly did it. Many of us lugged water cans, removed trash bags, ran around from pillar to post to ensure the event went smoothly. But if this was our job would we have done it, let alone done it cheerfully?
There is something about volunteering that gets the best out of a person. When one is doing something where we expect nothing in return, the best qualities of the person shows up. Suddenly each one is helpful, considerate to each other, coming forward to make the joint efforts a big success.
I’m grateful for volunteering where I discover people who are fun, helpful and good to each other. The world is a better place because of them.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day #96: Rituals (100 day gratitude challenge)

100 Day Gratitude Challenge: Day #2 Gratitude to all the people who provide me food and water

Exceptional Sunday